Wednesday, February 12, 2014

12 Feb 2014

I was thinking. I really wish I would have done this for the Sevier Lake project. That would have been so much more fun to look at. All these new experiences... While being in Canada and temperatures of -38 are certainly new experiences it's all pretty standard otherwise.

Here's a photo of drilling because that's cool: The steam is just steam. They spray hot water to keep things melted and warm enough to function. It turns instantly to steam/snow because of the inability for cold air to hold as much water vapor as hot air, so it condenses and falls to the ground.


 This is the inside of the core shack:


I saw the sun rise over the great plains today (yes, Saskatchewan is part of the plains). I had never seen that before. I've only seen the sun rise over the mountains. It was like watching the sun set over the ocean, but in reverse.. and trees instead of water. The light shines through miles upon mines (sorry, kilometers upon kilometers) of atmosphere allowing the scattering of the fully spectrum of colors. So at the top you see a very dark blue with purple tendencies in it, then your band of blue and down to a thick band of green, below this yellow orange and a dull red, right at the horizon. Then the sun crests over the horizon and bam! It's all gone replaces by a burning yellow star and a light blue sky.

Oh yeah, I'm out here for a drilling project. Well, the drillers were making good progress last night until their casing was too big to fit down the hole and they had to pull everything back out and widen the hole. That ate up about 6 hours. Then I had two hours at the beginning of my shift to kinda kick back while they prepped everything. Essentially I worked about 4 hours last night and spent 8 hours in the truck listening to music, taking micro-naps and reading. Definitely looking forward to getting home where I can do those things with my wife.

I got to chat with the project manager on my company's side today. He's a nice dude, different but I like him. He was saying he liked my work and wanted to hopefully get my up to Calgary to work on other projects in the future. That makes me happy. I hope there aren't any more 24 day projects... but I think that being able to be put to work by the Canadian office would be great for not only my resume, but also for just making new contacts. The Salt Lake office has a fairly small geology group. Calgary's is three times the size.

I ordered a pizza for "dinner" tonight. It's like... 2 parts crust, 1 part sauce, 400 parts cheese. Kind of disgusting really. I think I may just about be done. I also picked up my lunch and the girl working there asked if I wanted a "bayeg" for it (pronounced bay-egg)

I had to ask "a what?"
She says, "a bayeg"
"I'm sorry I don't know what you're asking."
"Do you want me to put your lunch in a bayeg"
"OH! A bag, uh, yes, please."

I'm so bad at accents.

Last night chatting with the Canadian drillers they were complimenting me on being a cool American. I was asking what that meant and they were like "Well, you want to get to know about Canada and you never tell us about America. Americans think we don't know anything about it, but we know everything we want to know. But they go on and on about their country telling us things we already know" and then they asked how many guns I owned and if I knew Mitt Romney (because I'm Mormon) Clearly they don't know as much about Americans as they think, but it was a nice compliment anyway. Canadian drillers are cool though. Much more awesome than their American counterparts. They're nice, polite, answer your questions without cursing at you, don't tell you made up stories about all the women they're (not actually) sleeping with... They're just like good blue-collar hard work kinda dudes. If it were only about 40 degrees C warmer and I had cell service, this wouldn't be such a bad job.

No comments:

Post a Comment